On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:59:55AM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 03/18/2018 12:19 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> >> +static int dsa_slave_nway_reset(struct net_device *dev)
> >> +{
> >> +  struct dsa_port *dp = dsa_slave_to_port(dev);
> >> +
> >> +  return phylink_ethtool_nway_reset(dp->pl);
> >> +}
> >
> > Hi Florian
> >
> > I've seen in one of Russells trees a patch to put a phylink into
> > net_device. That would make a generic slave_nway_reset() possible, and
> > a few others as well. Maybe it makes sense to pull in that patch?
>
> To make this generic, we would have to have net_device carry a reference
> to a phylink instance, which I would rather not do. Were you possibly
> referring to this patch set:
>
> http://git.armlinux.org.uk/cgit/linux-arm.git/commit/?h=phy&id=4eda3b76573473d811bc80a6f0e5a2e06dd76bf6
>
> in which case I think it was discussed and rejected (that was my
> recollection).

Unfortunately, that rejection kind'a prevents SFP support on a PHY,
which is why I'm not pushing the 3310 patches (I don't have any other
solution to this problem at the moment as PHYLIB gets in the way of
knowing what state the network interface is in.)

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up