On 20 Mar 2018 at 13:09, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > i2cdetect has found three i2c slaves (identical layout in both SFP's)
> > at addresses 0x50, 0x51 and 0x56.
> > What are they? EEPROM, DDM and "MDIO over i2c" ?
> > The SFP's likely lack a proper SFP MSA data structure.
>
> 0x50 and 0x51 are EEPROM like. See drivers/net/phy/sfp.c. The standard
> at24 EEPROM driver can also read it. And so should the SFP code in the
> igb driver!

Yes - "should" is the right way to put it.

Looking around, I'm wondering how much general-purpose hardware gets
sold with an Intel gigabit chip and SFP sockets. Note: sockets for
actual SFP's, rather than SFP-size transceivers soldered onboard (and
hardwired in the i210 config EEPROM). It took me quite a while to
find such a board from DeLock.
I mean to say that I doubt how much actual testing on humans this i2c
code has enjoyed :-) but admittedly I'm being cheeky here, I haven't
reviewed that part of the driver.

Frank