On 20/03/18 16:47, David Miller wrote:
From: Liran Alon <liran.a...@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 17:07:22 +0200

Before this commit, dev_forward_skb() always cleared packet's
per-network-namespace info. Even if the packet doesn't cross
network namespaces.

There was a lot of discussion about this patch.

Particularly whether it could potentially break current
users or not.

If this is resolved and the patch should still be applied,
please repost and the folks involved in this dicussion should
add their ACKs.

Thanks.

The problem is that I don't think we have reached an agreement.
I would be happy to here your opinion on the issue at hand here.

I personally don't understand why we should maintain backwards-comparability to this behaviour. How would a user rely on the fact that skb->mark is scrubbed when it is passed between 2 netdevs on the same netns but only when it is passed between very specific netdev type (one of them being veth-peers).
This behaviour seems to have been created by mistake.
This feature is not documented to user-mode and I don't see why it is legit for the user to rely on it.

In addition, even if we do want to maintain backwards-comparability to this behaviour, I think it is enough to have an opt-in flag in /proc/sys/net/core/ that when set to 1 will activate the fix in dev_forward_skb() provided by this patch. That would also be a very simple change to the patch provided here.

Do you agree? Or do you think we should have a flag per netdev like suggested in other replies to this thread?

Thanks,
-Liran