That came from named. It opens lots of sockets with SIOCGSTAMP.
No idea what it needs that many for.

IIRC ISC BIND named opens a socket for each IP it finds on the system. Presumeably in this way it "knows" implicitly the destination IP without using platform-specific recvfrom/whatever extensions and gets some additional parallelism in the stack on SMP systems.

Why it needs/wants the timestamps I've no idea, I don't think it gets them that way on all platforms. I suppose the next time I do some named benchmarking I can try to take a closer look in the source.

rick jones