On 26/09/06, David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:43:10 -0700

> +#ifdef CONFIG_NET_POLL_CONTROLLER
> +     new_dev->poll_controller = real_dev->poll_controller;
> +#endif
> +

I don't see how this part can be correct.  If netpoll actually
calls new_dev->poll_controller it will pass new_dev in
(ie. the VLAN device) yet this method is for real_dev.

If the only side effect of this assignment is that netpoll recognizes
the device as being usable with netpoll, that's really a nasty way to
accomplish that.

It was the only way I could find to accomplish that. If you know of a
better way I'd appreciate a hint :)

In any event, propagating this method pointer to the wrong device
structure is a bug.

Ok, then the patch as it stands is dead. I'll try to find another way.
Thank you for your comments.

--
Jesper Juhl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html