On 04/18/2018 12:28 AM, Paolo Abeni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let me revive this old thread...
>
> On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 11:16 -0700, John Fastabend wrote:
>> On 03/26/2018 10:30 AM, Cong Wang wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting. Why this is unique to pfifo_fast? For me it could
>>> happen to other qdisc's too, when we release the qdisc root
>>> lock in sch_direct_xmit(), another CPU could dequeue from
>>> the same qdisc and transmit the skb in parallel too?
>>>

>> Agreed, my guess is it never happens because the timing is
>> tighter in the lock case. Or if it is happening its infrequent
>> enough that no one noticed the OOO packets.
>
> I think the above could not happend due to the qdisc seqlock - which is
> not acquired by NOLOCK qdiscs.

Yep, seems to be the case.

>> For net-next we probably could clean this up. I was just
>> going for something simple in net that didn't penalize all
>> qdiscs as Eric noted. This patch doesn't make it any worse
>> at least. And we have been living with the above race for
>> years.
>
> I've benchmarked this patch is some different scenario, and in my
> testing it introduces a measurable regression in uncontended/lightly
> contended scenarios. The measured peak negative delta is with a pktgen
> thread using "xmit_mode queue_xmit":
>
> before: 27674032 pps
> after: 23809052 pps

Yeah more atomic ops :/

> I spend some time searching a way to improve this, without success.
>
> John, did you had any chance to look at this again?

If we have a multiple cores pulling from the same skb list and
feeding the same txq this happens. One problem is even if the
normal dev_queue_xmit path is aligned drivers call netif_schedule
from interrupt context and that happens on an arbitrary a cpu. When
the arbitrary cpu runs the netif_schedule logic it will dequeue
from the skb list using the cpu it was scheduled on.

The lockless case is not _really_ lockless after this patch we
have managed to pull apart the enqueue and dequeue serialization
though.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll think about it for a bit maybe
there is something we can do here. There is a set of conditions
that if met we can run without the lock. Possibly ONETXQUEUE and
aligned cpu_map is sufficient. We could detect this case and drop
the locking. For existing systems and high Gbps NICs I think (feel
free to correct me) assuming a core per cpu is OK. At some point
though we probably need to revisit this assumption.

.John