On 25/07/18 04:29 AM, Paolo Abeni wrote:
On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 13:50 -0700, Cong Wang wrote:

[..]
I fail to understand why overlimit is increased in your case
here. I guess you want to increase 'drops' instead.

Hmm, actually the current mirred code increases overlimit too.
But I still don't think it makes sense.

Yep, I chose to increment 'overlimits' to preserve the current mirred
semantic.

AFAICS, that was first introduced with:

commit 8919bc13e8d92c5b082c5c0321567383a071f5bc
Author: Jamal Hadi Salim <j...@mojatatu.com>
Date:   Mon Aug 15 05:25:40 2011 +0000

     net_sched: fix port mirror/redirect stats reporting

Likely increasing 'drops' would be "better", but I'm unsure we can
change this established behavior without affecting some user.

Those changes were there from the beginning (above patch did
not introduce them).
IIRC, the reason was to distinguish between policy intended
drops and drops because of errors.

cheers,
jamal