On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 14:02:44 +0200, Eelco Chaudron wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2018, at 21:06, David Miller wrote:
>
> > From: Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicin...@netronome.com>
> > Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 20:26:08 -0700
> >
> >> It is not immediately clear why this is needed.  The memory and
> >> updating two sets of counters won't come for free, so perhaps a
> >> stronger justification than troubleshooting is due? :S
> >>
> >> Netdev has counters for fallback vs forwarded traffic, so you'd know
> >> that traffic hits the SW datapath, plus the rules which are in_hw
> >> will
> >> most likely not match as of today for flower (assuming correctness).
>
> I strongly believe that these counters are a requirement for a mixed
> software/hardware (flow) based forwarding environment. The global
> counters will not help much here as you might have chosen to have
> certain traffic forwarded by software.
>
> These counters are probably the only option you have to figure out why
> forwarding is not as fast as expected, and you want to blame the TC
> offload NIC.

The suggested debugging flow would be:
 (1) check the global counter for fallback are incrementing;
 (2) find a flow with high stats but no in_hw flag set.

The in_hw indication should be sufficient in most cases (unless there
are shared blocks between netdevs of different ASICs...).

> >> I'm slightly concerned about potential performance impact, would you
> >> be able to share some numbers for non-trivial number of flows (100k
> >> active?)?
> >
> > Agreed, features used for diagnostics cannot have a harmful penalty
> > for fast path performance.
>
> Fast path performance is not affected as these counters are not
> incremented there. They are only incremented by the nic driver when they
> gather their statistics from hardware.

Not by much, you are adding state to performance-critical structures,
though, for what is effectively debugging purposes.

I was mostly talking about the HW offload stat updates (sorry for not
being clear).

We can have some hundreds of thousands active offloaded flows, each of
them can have multiple actions, and stats have to be updated multiple
times per second and dumped probably around once a second, too.  On a
busy system the stats will get evicted from cache between each round.

But I'm speculating let's see if I can get some numbers on it (if you
could get some too, that would be great!).