On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:42 PM Florian Fainelli <f.faine...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/9/2018 3:44 PM, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> > From: Willem de Bruijn <will...@google.com>
> >
> > Implement ethtool .set_coalesce (-C) and .get_coalesce (-c) handlers.
> > Interrupt moderation is currently not supported, so these accept and
> > display the default settings of 0 usec and 1 frame.
> >
> > Toggle tx napi through a bit in tx-frames. So as to not interfere
> > with possible future interrupt moderation, use bit 10, well outside
> > the reasonable range of real interrupt moderation values.
> >
> > Changes are not atomic. The tx IRQ, napi BH and transmit path must
> > be quiesced when switching modes. Only allow changing this setting
> > when the device is down.
>
> Humm, would not a private ethtool flag to switch TX NAPI on/off be more
> appropriate rather than use the coalescing configuration API here?

What do you mean by private ethtool flag? A new field in ethtool
--features (-k)?

Configurable napi-tx is not a common feature across devices. We really
want virtio-net to also just convert to napi-tx as default, but need a
way to gradually convert with application opt-out if some workloads
see regressions. There is prior art in interpreting coalesce values as
more than a direct mapping to usec. The e1000 is one example.