On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 01:59:40PM -0400, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> From: Willem de Bruijn <will...@google.com>
>
> Avoid the socket lookup cost in udp_gro_receive if no socket has a
> gro callback configured.

It would be nice if we could do GRO not just for GRO configured
sockets, but also for flows that are going to be IPsec transformed
or directly forwarded.

Maybe in case that forwarding is enabled on the receiving device,
inet_gro_receive() could do a route lookup and allow GRO if the
route lookup returned at forwarding route.

For flows that are likely software segmented after that, it
would be worth to build packet chains insted of merging the
payload. Packets of the same flow could travel together, but
it would save the cost of the packet merging and segmenting.
This could be done similar to what I proposed for the list
receive case:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg522706.html

How GRO should be done could be even configured
by replacing the net_offload pointer similar
to what Paolo propsed in his pachset with
the inet_update_offload() function.