On 11/2/06, Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Please have Ethernet (and wireless) devices show up as eth%d. For the
master device, choose something else (mac%d ?).

If ultimately we're going to make wireless devices, as John puts it,
"1st class citizens" by making 802.11 a full protocol we should just
start sticking to a new convention. Before when we didn't have any
softmac drivers in the kernel ethX made sense, with softmac this isn't
so clear, but with 802.11 as a full protocol perhaps wlanX will
finally make perfect sense. For the master device yes, how about mac%d
as its there do 802.11 MAC management.