On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 09:51, David Ahern <dsah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi David,
Thank you for the review!

> On 10/21/19 12:47 PM, Taehee Yoo wrote:
> > Current code doesn't limit the number of nested devices.
> > Nested devices would be handled recursively and this needs huge stack
> > memory. So, unlimited nested devices could make stack overflow.
> >
> > This patch adds upper_level and lower_level, they are common variables
> > and represent maximum lower/upper depth.
> > When upper/lower device is attached or dettached,
> > {lower/upper}_level are updated. and if maximum depth is bigger than 8,
> > attach routine fails and returns -EMLINK.
> >
> > In addition, this patch converts recursive routine of
> > netdev_walk_all_{lower/upper} to iterator routine.
>
> They were made recursive because of a particular setup. Did you verify
> your changes did not break it? See commits starting with
> 5bb61cb5fd115bed1814f6b97417e0f397da3c79

I didn't change the actual logic of walking APIs.
These walking iterator APIs work as DFS.
So it doesn't break existing codes.

> > Test commands:
> >     ip link add dummy0 type dummy
> >     ip link add link dummy0 name vlan1 type vlan id 1
> >     ip link set vlan1 up
> >
> >     for i in {2..55}
> >     do
> >           let A=$i-1
> >
> >           ip link add vlan$i link vlan$A type vlan id $i
> >     done
> >     ip link del dummy0
>
> 8 levels of nested vlan seems like complete nonsense. Why not just limit
> that stacking and not mess with the rest which can affect real use cases?

VLAN, BONDING, TEAM, MACSEC, MACVLAN, IPVLAN, VIRT_WIFI, and VXLAN
These interface types can be nested and these could be combined.

team6

vlan5

team4

macvlan3

bond2

vlan1

dummy0

There are so many similar cases even they are not real use cases.
So I think generic code is needed.

Thank you
Taehee Yoo