I was just asked about something not too different, involving IIRC tnsping. It got me to looking at ip_sysctl.txt which has:

icmp_ratelimit - INTEGER
        Limit the maximal rates for sending ICMP packets whose type
        matches icmp_ratemask (see below) to specific targets.
        0 to disable any limiting, otherwise the maximal rate in
        jiffies(1)
        Default: 100

icmp_ratemask - INTEGER
        Mask made of ICMP types for which rates are being limited.
        Significant bits: IHGFEDCBA9876543210
        Default mask:     0000001100000011000 (6168)

        Bit definitions (see include/linux/icmp.h):
                0 Echo Reply
                3 Destination Unreachable *
                4 Source Quench *
                5 Redirect
                8 Echo Request
                B Time Exceeded *
                C Parameter Problem *
                D Timestamp Request
                E Timestamp Reply
                F Info Request
                G Info Reply
                H Address Mask Request
                I Address Mask Reply

        * These are rate limited by default (see default mask above)

(I've always been used to masks being specified as hex values)

rick jones