On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:32:45PM -0700, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 07:38:00PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux admin
> wrote:
> > What I ended up doing was:
> >
> >         if (ops->get_ts_info) {
> >                 ret = ops->get_ts_info(dev, info);
> >                 if (ret != -EOPNOTSUPP)
> >                         return ret;
> >         }
> >         if (phy_has_tsinfo(phydev))
> >                 return phy_ts_info(phydev, info);
> >
> > which gives the MAC first refusal.  If the MAC wishes to defer to
> > phylib or the default, it can just return -EOPNOTSUPP.
>
> I guess that makes sense.  If someone designs a board that happens to
> have a PHY with unwanted time stamping fcunctionality, then at least
> the MAC time stamping function will work.  If the designers really
> want PHY time stamping, then they are likely to have to patch the MAC
> driver in any case.
>
> So I'm not against such a change.  It would be important to keep the
> current "PHY-friendly" MAC drivers still friendly, and so they would
> need patching as part of the change.

That would only be necessary if they also provide the get_ts_info
method.

So, I guess I need to find all drivers that refer to phylink or phylib
functions, that also implement get_ts_info method and review them.
I would expect that to be very small, since there's currently little
point implementing PTP at both the PHY and the MAC for the reason I've
raised earlier in this thread.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!