On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 08:52 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> It would make sense to do it per-cpu and 64 bit for the non-error counters.

Well, I looked at the e1000, it doesn't update on every packet anyway,
but seems to d/l from the card occasionally.  I assume this is the
method for high-speed drivers, otherwise we should split the tx & rx
parts of the structure.

64 bit introduces potential compatibility problems (exporting via proc).
And per-cpu feels like overkill to me.

Rusty.