From: Patrick McHardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 06:59:06 +0200

> RTM_DELROUTE + RTM_NEWROUTE seem to be safer, although you're correct
> that it might cause userspace to perform some action upon receiving
> the DELROUTE message since the update is non-atomic. So I really don't
> know, I'm in favour of having notifications for replacements, but I
> fear we might break something.

We can cry foul about a broken application if an application following
the API correctly would interpret the new messages correctly.

I think it doesn't make sense to do a delete then a newroute for
the atomicity issues, and therefore the replace makes the most
sense as long as existing correct uses of the API would not
explode on this.