From: "Michael Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:05:28 -0700

> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 14:08 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
> >  > > Well, IPoIB doesn't do netif_wake_queue() until half the device's TX
> >  > > queue is free, so we should get batching.  However, I'm not sure that
> >  > > I can count on a fudge factor ensuring that there's enough space to
> >  > > handle everything skb_gso_segment() gives me -- is there any reliable
> >  > > way to get an upper bound on how many segments a given gso skb will
> >  > > use when it's segmented?
> >  >
> >  > Take a look at tg3.c.  I use (gso_segs * 3) as the upper bound.
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer... I noticed that code, but could you tell me
> > where the "* 3" comes from?
> >
> For each gso_seg, there will be a header and the payload may span 2
> pages for 1500-byte packets.  We always assume 1500-byte packets because
> the buggy chips do not support jumbo frames.

Correct.

I think there may be a case where you could see up to 4 segments.
If the user corks the TCP socket, does a sendmsg() (which puts
the data in the per-socket page) then does a sendfile() you'll
see something like:

skb->data       IP, TCP, ethernet headers, etc.
page0           sendmsg() data
page1           sendfile
page2           sendfile

Ie. this can happen if the sendfile() part starts near the
end of a page, so it would get split even for a 1500 MTU
frame.

Even more complex variants are possible if the user does
tiny sendfile() requests to different pages within the file.

So in fact it can span up to N pages.

But there is an upper limit defined by the original GSO
frame, and that is controlled by MAX_SKB_FRAGS, so at most
you would see MAX_SKB_FRAGS plus some small constant.