"Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can can_ifindex be turned into a unsigned short? That way we would
> have it nicely packed, avoiding this hole:

Since dev->ifindex is int and we have many assignments between
can_ifindex and dev->ifindex it would not make sense to define
can_ifindex as a short int.  Also in user space, ifindex is int,
e.g. in struct ifreq.  This would cause implicit truncating type casts
from int to short int (some compilers warn about this, haven't tried
GCC for a long time) or require many explicit type casts.

urs