Jeff Garzik wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:

But that is rather incidental isn't it? Would some sort of system health monitor be likely to be checking that for interrupt flavors? And

Well, that's where the information is exported in a standard way. I hope you're not suggesting that a system health monitor should be parsing random, driver-specific printk messages to obtain the same information?

No, I wouldn't. The only "system health monitor" I would expect to be parsing that sort of thing would be a human. Perhaps I'm just backing-into the meta question via the specifics of this driver patch.

just looking at /proc/interrupts, while it tells you what sort of interrupt is being used, it doesn't (IIRC) say anything about what sort of interrupt the driver _tried_ to use.

True.

In the context of this thread, it could be any number of reasons: MSI isn't compiled in. MSI was disabled at runtime via kernel command line. MSI was disabled by BIOS quirk. MSI enable was attempted, but failed for some reason.

None of those reasons are really driver-specific, or need driver-specific complaint messages.

Agreed. But is the PCI (?) subsystem doing something in that regard or is this a hole?

rick jones