On 4/9/2021 12:40 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 10:26:21AM -0400, Tom Talpey wrote:

My belief is that the biggest risk is from situations where completions
are batched, and therefore polling is used to detect them without
interrupts (which explicitly).

We don't do this in the kernel.

All kernel ULPs only read data after they observe the CQE. We do not
have "last data polling" and our interrupt model does not support some
hacky "interrupt means go and use the data" approach.

ULPs have to be designed this way to use the DMA API properly.

Yep. Totally agree.

My concern was about the data being written as relaxed, and the CQE
racing it. I'll reply in the other fork.

Fencing a DMA before it is completed by the HW will cause IOMMU
errors.

Userspace is a different story, but that will remain as-is with
optional relaxed ordering.

Jason