Hi Mark,

On Fri, 2021-04-09 at 17:07 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 10:52:34PM +0200, Sander Vanheule wrote:
> > Basic support for MIIM bus access. Support only includes clause-22
> > register access, with 5-bit addresses, and 16-bit wide registers.
>
> What is "MIIM"?  A quick search isn't showing up useful hits for that.
> Why not just call this MDIO like the rest of the kernel is doing, it
> seems like using something else is at best going to make it harder to
> discover this code?  If MIIM is some subset or something it's not
> obvious how we're limited to that.

MIIM stands for "MII management", i.e. the management bus for devices
with some form of MII interface. MDIO is also frequently used to refer
to the data pin of the bus (there's also MDC: the clock pin), so I
wanted to make the distinction.

The kernel has the mii_bus struct to describe the bus master, but like
you noted the bus is generaly refered to as an MDIO interface. I'm fine
with naming it MDIO to make it easier to spot.

Best,
Sander