[CC += netdev]

On 4/12/21 12:13 AM, Adam Liddell wrote:
Hi,

Any opinion on this?

Adam

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021, at 17:00, Adam Liddell wrote:
Hi,

The arp(7) page's description of gc_stale_time doesn't quite describe
the behaviour correctly, at least as I understand it.

The current description suggests this is the time interval at which a
loop will look for stale entries. However, this field is the threshold
for marking an entry dead for removal, based on when it was last used
(see net/core/neighbour.c lines 935-942) and whether the table is over
gc_thresh1. How often this check is done appears to be determined by
base_reachable_time (/2) and the third option gc_interval is not
involved in this process as far as I can tell, despite its name.

Perhaps a draft alternate description could be something along the lines of:

Determines the threshold for removing a cache entry after it was last
used and when the cache is larger than gc_thresh1. Defaults to 60
seconds.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the ping.  I don't know, sorry.
I added netdev@ so that maybe they can give an opinion. In the man-pages, that text has been there since we use git, so I don't know who wrote it.

Thanks,

Alex

--