On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 19:39:45 +0200
Jiri Olsa <jo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I don't know how the BPF code does it, but if you are tracing the exit
> > of a function, I'm assuming that you hijack the return pointer and replace
> > it with a call to a trampoline that has access to the arguments. To do
>
> hi,
> it's bit different, the trampoline makes use of the fact that the
> call to trampoline is at the very begining of the function and, so
> it can call the origin function with 'call function + 5' instr.
>
> so in nutshell the trampoline does:
>
>   call entry_progs
>   call original_func+5

How does the above handle functions that have parameters on the stack?

>   call exit_progs
>
> you can check this in arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp.c in moe detail:
>
>  * The assembly code when eth_type_trans is called from trampoline:
>  *
>  * push rbp
>  * mov rbp, rsp
>  * sub rsp, 24                     // space for skb, dev, return value
>  * push rbx                        // temp regs to pass start time
>  * mov qword ptr [rbp - 24], rdi   // save skb pointer to stack
>  * mov qword ptr [rbp - 16], rsi   // save dev pointer to stack
>  * call __bpf_prog_enter           // rcu_read_lock and preempt_disable
>  * mov rbx, rax                    // remember start time if bpf stats are
> enabled
>  * lea rdi, [rbp - 24]             // R1==ctx of bpf prog
>  * call addr_of_jited_FENTRY_prog  // bpf prog can access skb and dev
>
> entry program called ^^^
>
>  * movabsq rdi, 64bit_addr_of_struct_bpf_prog  // unused if bpf stats are off
>  * mov rsi, rbx                    // prog start time
>  * call __bpf_prog_exit            // rcu_read_unlock, preempt_enable and
> stats math
>  * mov rdi, qword ptr [rbp - 24]   // restore skb pointer from stack
>  * mov rsi, qword ptr [rbp - 16]   // restore dev pointer from stack
>  * call eth_type_trans+5           // execute body of eth_type_trans
>
> original function called ^^^

This would need to be limited to only functions that do not have any
parameters on the stack.

>  * mov qword ptr [rbp - 8], rax    // save return value
>  * call __bpf_prog_enter           // rcu_read_lock and preempt_disable
>  * mov rbx, rax                    // remember start time in bpf stats are
> enabled
>  * lea rdi, [rbp - 24]             // R1==ctx of bpf prog
>  * call addr_of_jited_FEXIT_prog   // bpf prog can access skb, dev, return
> value
>
> exit program called ^^^
>
>  * movabsq rdi, 64bit_addr_of_struct_bpf_prog  // unused if bpf stats are off
>  * mov rsi, rbx                    // prog start time
>  * call __bpf_prog_exit            // rcu_read_unlock, preempt_enable and
> stats math
>  * mov rax, qword ptr [rbp - 8]    // restore eth_type_trans's return value
>  * pop rbx
>  * leave
>  * add rsp, 8                      // skip eth_type_trans's frame
>  * ret                             // return to its caller
>
> > this you need a shadow stack to save the real return as well as the
> > parameters of the function. This is something that I have patches that do
> > similar things with function graph.
> >
> > If you want this feature, lets work together and make this work for both
> > BPF and ftrace.
>
> it's been some time I saw a graph tracer, is there a way to make it
> access input arguments and make it available through ftrace_ops
> interface?

I have patches that could easily make it do so. And should probably get
them out again. The function graph tracer has a shadow stack, and my
patches allow you to store data on it for use with the exiting of the
program.

My last release of that code is here:

  https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20190525031633.811342...@goodmis.org/

It allows you to "reserve data" to pass from the caller to the return, and
that could hold the arguments. See patch 15 of that series.

-- Steve