Jeff Garzik wrote:
It's simple logic: using machine integers are the easiest for the compiler to Do The Right Thing, the easiest way to eliminate endian problems, the easiest way for programmers to read and understand struct alignment.

using integers pure is obviously natural..
but using integers and then manually doing bit masking yourself... that's not fundamentally better than what the compiler can do.

yes bitfields are hard for not-1-bit cases and for cases where you mimick hardware layouts. neither is the case in this code. The code gets actually harder to read for the feature flags if you don't use bitfields.... so unless the code is really worse (and so far I've not seen that, but I'll investigate more when I get to work), I think it's fair to use single-bit, non-packed bitfields for them...