Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 02:09:58PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
The patch is close to ready for 2.6.24 when this driver will need to show up.

If intel manages to fix up the reamining issues I'd rather see it appear
in 2.6.23..

Since I know Intel will be forced to backport this to older distro's. You
would be best to have a single receive queue version when you have to make
it work on the older code.

But that'll require the single receiver queue version I guess.  The
netdevice abuse is the only really major issue I see, although I'd of
course really like to see the driver getting rid of the bitfield abuse
aswell.

well, FWIW when I started looking at adding these flags I looked in various subsystems in the kernel and picked an implementation that suited. Guess what pci.h has? ...:

        unsigned int msi_enabled:1;
        unsigned int msix_enabled:1;

this is literally where I copied the example from

I suppose I can fix those, but I really don't understand what all the fuzz is about here. We're only conserving memory and staying far away from the real risks of bitmasks, so forgive me if I don't grasp the problem.

Honestly, if this is really considered "Bad coding" (TM) then we need to fix these prominent abuses of it too.

I count about 60 or so of these bitfields in drivers/net... (and countless more in other parts) !

Auke