Veeraiyan, Ayyappan wrote:
On 7/10/07, Jeff Garzik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Doing both tends to signal that the author hasn't bothered to measure
the differences between various approaches, and pick a clear winner.


I did pick NAPI in our previous submission based on various tests. But
to get 10Gig line rate we need to use multiple Rx queues which will need
fake netdevs.. Since fake netdevs weren't acceptable, I added non-NAPI
support which gets 10Gig line rate with multi-rx. I am ok with removing
NAPI support till the work of separating the netdevs and NAPI work is
done..

That sounds fine to me. Separating netdev and NAPI is the right way to go. Maybe note that in a TODO list at the top of the driver.


With SW LRO, non-NAPI is better but without LRO, NAPI is better but NAPI
needs multiple Rx queues. So given the limitations, non-NPAI is my
preference now.

On the subject of SW LRO: We are really looking for a generic implementation, hopefully authored by one or more interested parties. This is something we definitely do not want to reinvent over and over in new drivers -- and in the one or two drivers it exists today, should be removed once the generic code is in place.

If Intel could assist with that effort, that would be very helpful.


I will post the performance numbers later today..

Thanks,

        Jeff


-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe netdev" in
the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Reply via email to