Michael Chan wrote:

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:59 +0200, patric wrote:

Thanks... That's a confirmation on what i suspected.. I think i'll dig into the code instead and try to figure out some way of making it work a bit better for my setup atleast... I'll post a patch later if i get something working... Btw, do you have any timings on how long it takes for the cards to get a lock on the link?

Serdes link comes up very fast.  The clause 37 autoneg involves going
through a few states and exchanging base pages and optional next pages.
Each state completes in 10 msec, so the whole autoneg should complete in
roughly 100 msec or so.  But because it is done in software for these
older cards, it can take much longer because it can get out-of-sync.

Hi,

Think i got something working for me at least, and the fix is quite minimal and only downside that i could see from it was that you might get a small delay when bringing up the interface, but that's probably better than getting a non-functional interface that reports that it's up.

The fix seems to be quite simple with just a random sleep at the end of "tg3_setup_fiber_by_hand():"

               tw32_f(MAC_MODE, tp->mac_mode);
               udelay(40);
       }

out:
       udelay( net_random() % 400 );
       return current_link_up;
}

Not sure that this is a good fix or if it might break on other systems, but maybe you could have a quick look at that?

Regards,
Patric