On 8/19/07, Bruce Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So it seems that when the driver tries to queue a packet while the
> controller is busy processing the queue, the newly queued packet does
> not get noticed by the controller (until further packet activity occurs).
> Perhaps there is a problem with the memory barriers when adding to the
> TX queue, but I'm a newbie on linux kernel memory barriers.

One thing I noticed a while ago (march) is that floodpinging (ping -f)
the r8169 host from an external system also increases performance
without changing code.

My original post about the problem:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=117207362010321&w=2

I ended up (until now perhaps :-) with disabling the onboard nic and
adding an e1000 card.

Kind regards,
Dirk