Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
And reading NCR some more, we already have something similar in the
form of Alexey's reordering detection, in fact it handles exactly the
case NCR supposedly deals with.  We do not trigger loss recovery
strictly on the 3rd duplicate ACK, and we've known about and dealt
with the reordering issue explicitly for years.

Yeah, it looked like another case of BSD RFC writers reinventing
Linux algorithms, but it is worth getting the behaviour standardized
and more widely reviewed.

I don't believe this was the case. NCR is substantially different, and came out of work at Texas A&M. The original (only) implementation was in Linux IIRC. Its goal was to do better. Their papers say it does. It might be worth looking at.

In my own experience with reordering, Alexey's code had some hard-to-track-down bugs (look at all the work Ilpo's been doing), and the relative simplicity of NCR may be one of the reasons it does well in tests.

  -John