On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Francois Romieu wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :
[...]
20070903-2.6.23-rc5-r8169-test.patch applied against 2.6.23-rc5 works fine.
Performance is acceptable.

Does "acceptable" mean that there is a noticeable difference when compared
to the patch based on a busy-waiting loop ?

Without this patch, latency in bringing up emacs, or in display of pages in
firefox is extremely high.  With the patch, latency is pretty much what I
see when using an old tulip based NIC.

Is there a specific test you wish me to try?

Would you like me to *just* try patches 1 & 2, to help narrow down anything?

I expect patch #2 alone to be enough to enhance the performance. If it gets
proven, the patch would be a good candidate for a quick merge upstream.

Okay, I will build another kernel with just #2 applied.

John