I finally managed to rewrite the netem trace extension to use rtnetlink communication for the data transfer for user space to kernel space.

The kernel patch is available here:
http://www.tcn.hypert.net/tcn_kernel_2_6_23_rtnetlink

and the iproute patch is here:
http://www.tcn.hypert.net/tcn_iproute2_2_6_23_rtnetlink

Whenever new data is needed the kernel module sends a notification to the user space process. Thereupon the user space process sends a data package to the kernel module. I had to write a new qdisc_notify function (qdisc_notify_pid) since the other was acquiring a lock, which we already hold in this situation.

I hope everything works as expected and I'm looking forward for your comments.

Thanks!
Ariane