Am Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2007 schrieb Dor Laor:
> You're right I got confused somehow.
> So in that case setting the driver status field on open in addition to
> your enable will do the trick.
> On DRIVER_OPEN the host will trigger an interrupt if the queue is not
> empty..
> Thanks,
> Dor

After looking into some other drivers, I prefer my first patch (moving
napi_enable) ;-)

There are some drivers like xen-netfront, b44, which call napi_enable before
the buffers are passed to the hardware. So it seems that moving napi is
also a valid option.

But maybe I can just wait until Rusty returns from vacation (I will leave
next week) so everything might be wonderful when I return ;-)

Rusty, if you decide to apply my patch, there is one downside: The debugging
code in virtio_ring sometimes triggers with a false positive:

try_fill_recv calls vring_kick. Here we do a notify to the host. This might
cause an immediate interrupt, triggering the poll routine before vring_kick
can run END_USE. This is no real problem, as we dont touch the vq after
notify.

Christian, facing 64 guest cpus unconvering all kind of races