Mike Frysinger wrote:
all this stuff is ABI constants, and the only reason glibc doesn't use them is that glibc prefers to use enums over #defines.

a proper libc defines things in their headers according to the POSIX specs rather than relying on others to do it for them. if you want to argue about linux-specific ABI pieces being exported, then you probably have a valid point, but socket.h is hardly that.

Have you looked at it?!!? It's full of ABI constants, and that's what I care about. POSIX doesn't define, say, AF_UNIX; that's an ABI specific.

so if the only consumer is klibc and you're against adding these things to it, special case it for __KLIBC__.

No, let's split the header so that there are *no* libc knowledge in the kernel. For the kernel to have knowledge about the specifics of any particular libc (klibc, glibc, or any other) is stupid, and that's the whole reason we're in this spot to begin with.

Again, I don't particularly care about what they're named, but the whole point is

        #include <linux/foo.h>

if you want the subset and

        #include <linux/bar.h>

if you want the whole set.

No libc specifics, and no feature test macros, which I think we can both agree are uglier than hell.

I thought the naming worked out nicer with <linux/sockaddr.h>, but I *don't really care*.

        -hpa