David Brownell wrote:
From: David Brownell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Prevent unaligned packet oops on enc28j60 packet RX.
How can I reproduce the unaligned packet oops? Did you use any utilities to force this condition?
Keep enc28j60 chips in low-power mode when they're not in use.
At typically 120 mA, these chips run hot even when idle.  Low
power mode cuts that power usage by a factor of around 100.
Good idea, but with your patch applied, after some ifconfig down - ifconfig up cycle, the
enc28j60 is left in an unknown state and it doesn' Rx/Tx anything.
In such cases If I dump the counters with ifconfig I got rx error counter > 0 and the RX and TX packets counters are freezed. Actually I don't know what causes the freeze, it needs investigation. The cause can be the rx error condition or the power down/up commands.
May be receiving packets while it's going to wakeup causes problems.

Can you split the patch in 2 parts, unaligned rx and power save?

+/*
+ * Low power mode shrinks power consumption about 100x, so we'd like
+ * the chip to be in that mode whenever it's inactive.
+ */
+static void enc28j60_lowpower(struct enc28j60_net *priv, bool is_low)
+{
+       int     tmp;
+
+       dev_dbg(&priv->spi->dev, "%s power...\n", is_low ? "low" : "high");
use
if(netif_msg_drv(priv)) printk(...
instead of dev_dbg(), please.
Doing so we can switch on/off messages runtime using ethtool.

+
+       mutex_lock(&priv->lock);
+       if (is_low) {
+               nolock_reg_bfclr(priv, ECON1, ECON1_RXEN);
+               for (;;) {
+                       tmp = nolock_regb_read(priv, ESTAT);
+                       if (!(tmp & ESTAT_RXBUSY))
+                               break;
+               }
Avoid infinite waiting loops, please.
Look at enc28j60_phy_read() for example.
+               for (;;) {
+                       tmp = nolock_regb_read(priv, ECON1);
+                       if (!(tmp & ECON1_TXRTS))
+                               break;
+               }
idem
+               /* ECON2_VRPS was set during initialization */
+               nolock_reg_bfset(priv, ECON2, ECON2_PWRSV);
+       } else {
+               nolock_reg_bfclr(priv, ECON2, ECON2_PWRSV);
+                       tmp = nolock_regb_read(priv, ESTAT);
+                       if (tmp & ESTAT_CLKRDY)
+                               break;
idem