Full quote below. So what is the consensus on this topic?
I read the emails but i dont see a resolution.

cheers,
jamal

On 06/03/15 08:08, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
On 06/02/15 10:30, Scott Feldman wrote:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Jamal Hadi Salim <j...@mojatatu.com>
wrote:
On 06/02/15 03:10, Scott Feldman wrote:

Question to ask when looking at something of this nature:
Will it work with no suprises if you used today's unmodified app?
The default behavior shouldnt change and unfortunately it does here.

The default behavior does change, yes, but there shouldn't be any
surprises even if using today's unmodified app.

[..]

[....]

Ha, you're giving the behavior for "bridge fdb" command, where self is
the default.

Yes, sorry ;->

For "bridge link" and "bridge vlan", the default is master.  The user
must explicitly specify "self" to act on the device side of the port.

Not sure what "device side of the port" is intended to mean. But:
iproute2, user can specify device is either the bridge or bridge port.
I think that is the key.
This is used in combination with the self/master flags to decide
behavior in the kernel.
Summary, assuming flag bits master:self

user setting: 00 (none set - which is default iproute2 behavior).
Kernel behavior:
if (bridge port targeted)
         sets the vlan bitmap on the bridge port.
else
         sets the vlan bitmap on the bridge.

******* Above is what we want to maintain unchanged.
If you are saying it doesnt change, then we are fine.

user setting: 01 (self on)
kernel behavior: no difference from default

user setting: 1x (master on, self doesnt matter)
kernel behavior:
if (bridge port targeted)
         sets the bitmap on the bridge port.
         sets the bitmap on the bridge as well. <--------
else
         sets the bitmap on the bridge.

BTW: given the vlan change are reflected from the bowels of
br_vlan_info() - is it redundant there is a call in br_afset
afterwards which says something like
"if master is set and target is bridge port then call hardware
setting thing"?

dont have much time - so i may be confusing something.

It's unfortunate the iproute2 defaults aren't consistent between
commands.  Maybe someone knows the history here and can explain.

Not sure. Too many cooks with specific use cases? There are many
thing in bridge that i wish were different.
Unfortunately when things get to this level Dave's famous "a horse has
left the barn"  principle applies. Despite my whining, over time,
even shit doesnt smell anymore. I almost feel we need an
ABI police force (refer to Jiri's talk at netconf).
It is much easier to fix kernel changes.

cheers,
jamal