Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 01:53:56AM CEST, sfel...@gmail.com wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Jiri Pirko <j...@resnulli.us> wrote:

>>>It would be great if we could use dev->index, but fwd_mark is really
>>>to mark device ports that belong to a group.  In the case of a bridge,
>>>the device ports in the bridge should all have the same mark.  And
>>>another device's ports in the same bridge would have a different mark
>>>(so we can't use the bridge's dev->ifindex).  On ingress, the skb is
>>>marked with the ingress port's mark.  If the skb is to be forwarded
>>>out an egress port, the skb mark is compared with egress port's mark.
>>>If marks compare, then the device has already forwarded the pkt so the
>>>kernel can consume_skb to avoid duplicate pkts on the wire.
>>>
>>>So what we need is a unique mark for device ports within a fwding
>>>group, such as a bridge.
>>
>> Yep, have a group of netdevs, pick one of them and use it's ifindex for
>> the whole group.
>
>That will not work because ports from two switches in the same bridge
>need different marks...that's how the bridge knows which ports to fwd
>and which ones to skip.
>
>Example:
>
>br0
>   sw1p1 (mark=3)
>   sw1p2 (mark=3)
>   sw2p2 (mark=7)
>   sw2p2 (mark=7)
>
>Two switches, sw1 and sw2, in bridge br0.  Let's say sw1 receives an
>unknown unicast pkt. It'll flood the pkt to its other switch ports
>(sw1p2, in this case) and send a copy to the CPU (the bridge), with
>skb->mark=3.  The bridge will flood pkt to sw1p2, sw2p1, and sw2p2,
>but our little check in dev.c will drop the pkt to sw1p2 just before
>egress onto wire.  Pkt goes out on sw2p1 and sw2p2.  This is why we
>can't use just the br0 ifindex to generate the mark.  We need
>something unique about the switch port and the bridge ifindex to give
>us a mark for a port.

Scott, again, I'm not talking about br0 ifindex! I'm talking about
ifindexes of the port netdevs.

br0
  sw1p1  ifindex=1
  sw1p2  ifindex=2
  sw2p1  ifindex=3
  sw2p2  ifindex=4

now we have 2 groups, one in each switch. So for sw1 group (sw1p1 and
sw1p2) we select mark one of the ifindexes, so either "1" or "2"
For second group, from sw2 we select "3" or "4". So for example:
br0
  sw1p1  mark=1
  sw1p2  mark=1
  sw2p1  mark=4
  sw2p2  mark=4

This is generic, usable for every group.