From: Eric Dumazet

I wasn't worried about del_timer_sync().
The problem is the call to timer_pending().

If the timer has just expired, and the timeout function is running
(on another cpu) then timer_pending() will return false.
So any tidyup path (apart from that called by the timeout function itself)
will fail to wait for the function to finish.

So, in effect, you've converted the code back into a call to del_timer().

timer_pending() should probably never be called without the relevant
timer lock help - because the result is stale.

        David