On 10/17/2015 2:54 AM, Andrew Lunn wrote:

Commit "8b63ec1837fa phylib: Make PHYs children of their MDIO bus, not
the bus' parent." broke finding PHY properties in the MAC device tree

    You probably forgot to run checkpatch.pl on this patch, else it
would have complained about the commit citing style. It's <12-bit
SHA1> ("<summary line>").

   12-digit, of course. :-)

Actual, i did, and decided to ignore it. I'm quoting the regression
report, which formats it that way. However i did deliberately use the
correct format for the fixes: line, where it actually matters.

checkpatch is just a guide, not a rigid rule.

I've had several cases of a maintainer fixing up the commit citing style for me (and ruining my precious line filling :-).

MBR, Sergei