On (11/02/15 17:26), Nelson, Shannon wrote:
> > I assume you mean .1q
>
> Yes, this is what I had in mind.

I dont think we're quite there yet, even without vlans.

If I turn on/off tcpdump, there's something about the way that the link
is bounced that leaves the device down while tcpdump is running. Then
after I exit tcpdump, it bounces things a few more times again, packets
flow for a brief interval, and then there's silence.

Seems like there's is a workq that results in
i40e_service_task->i40e_sync_vsi_filters that periodically resets things.

Doing 'ip link set eth0 promisc on' keeps things nice and steady.

How is this all supposed to work if I change the macaddr from /sbin/ip
using i40e_set_mac() and then jiggle the promisc (either just the flag,
or with tcpdump)? (I cant tell because I dont have an x86 machine with
i40e handy)

To frame the question differently, where all should I be invoking
the new i40e_macaddr_init() function from?

--Sowmini