I assume you mean "you have to use both java
and javascript to achieve the above steps<this>"

you can use only javascript if you attempt
what peter describes in 2-4 of his reply.
for small amounts of cross reference data
i have done it this way and it works well.
it is much faster than making a round-trip
to the server.

one tricky part is "resizing" a combobox
based on the new data.  IE does it automatically,
Netscape has to be coaxed.

-Chip
Team NetDynamics