>    I am currently doing a project on "Satellite IP Network Emulator"
> whereby I have to setup a bridge and then through the bridge (emulator), I
> need to add satellite link elements (such as longer delay, diff. queue,
> higher BER etc. etc.) to the emulator to create a synthetic satellite
> environment.

Is this for GEO satellites (constant delay), or for MEO / LEO (delay varying
with orbit location, needs orbit estimation)?

>    Here's the questions and doubts that I have:-
>
> [1] Is Netfilter suitable for my project?

It certainly provides the tools you need:

> [2] If yes, please give me some pointers on where and how should i start?
> (I am currently trying to digest all the documentations about Netfilter and
>iptables.)

Have a look at the QUEUE target, i.e. the userlevel queueing component.
This lets you pass packets to a userlevel daemon, which can then queue
them for some time, and reinject them after the simulated delay. If I
remember correctly, there are sample userlevel daemons, which you would
then have to adapt to implement your delay logic.

best regards
  Patrick