On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:02:46PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>
> > > Where is the "possible transparent proxy entries" defined? Internally in
> > > TPROXY, or in the host IP stack socket table?
> >
> > in TPROXY.
> >
> > > I guess this would be the rule table telling what should be diverted by
> > > TPROXY, which from my understanding would be your iptables ruleset...
> >
> > No. I have
>
> You have what? Seems to be part of the message missing here..??

Yes, sorry. There's a translation table in TPROXY independent from the
tproxy iptables table.

The rules are in the iptables table called 'tproxy', and contains one
transparent proxy rule for each service needed.

As a connection is established, a new entry is added to the translation
table with: remote addr/remote port, original dest/original port, local
dest/local port.

Then both the prerouting and the local output hooks perform translation of
the packet flow according to the translation table.

In a sence this table is similar to the conntrack tables, with the exception
that the primary focus is to assign packet endpoints with local sockets,
identified by their own IP/port pair.

Thus the connection between a redirected session and a local socket is not
the socket layer, but this translation table, therefore no packet with
foreign IP address enter the networking core.

--
Bazsi