> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 01:57:27PM +0200, Oskar Andreasson wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a brief suggestion for a match/target which I am unable to to write myself
>of many reasons, mainly that I am a very very lousy coder =). If someone is already
>working on this, disregard from this mail.
> >
> > What I would like to propose is an ECN match/target.
>
> http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/netfilter/userspace/extensions/libipt_ECN.c

My fault, I never found that part in 1.2.6a but it should be there if I am not wrong
after reading through this. One stupid question however.. where is the kernel side
implementation of this target?

> > I would first of all like to see a match that makes it possible to match
> > packets based on their ECN values as described in RFC 3168, or possibly on
> > any value that the ECN field may take.
>
> yup, this makes sense.
>
> > I would also like to see a target that lets us set the ECN values. As with
> > the FTOS and TOS targets, I would generally believe the TOS type of match
> > would be better (ie, it would block the user from setting ridiculous values
> > that are more or less not valid according to RFC 3168.).
>
> Only touchin the IP haeder is not a good idea, as ECN works in combination
> with the transport layer (i.e. TCP).

Makes sense to me=) I hadn't actually come to the part of the RFC so far, my mistake.

> The only valid use from my point of view is removing the ECT codepoint from
> the TCP header of every SYN packet in order to prevent ECN from being
> negotiated for a given connection.

Unless we create more "intelligence" in the match/target, but that would be extremely
stupid I believe... In other words, I am inclined to agree.

> > 1) Reset all ECN enabled packets leaving a specific network or going to a
> > specific network.
>
> experimental.

Ok, I saw it and I believe you=).

> > 2) We can use this match to match packets leaving the firewall and possibly
> > do specific routing to get around misbehaving routers/firewalls blocking ECN
> > enabled packets.
>
> matching is always ok.

So... one more question then, is there such a (ECN) match that I have missed as well?

Have a nice day,

Oskar Andreasson
http://www.boingworld.com
http://people.unix-fu.org/andreasson/