I'm trying to clean up outstanding Debian bugs that are not
Debian maintainer screw ups. My mail to the list has fallen
into a black hole somewhere. Here we go again...

   http://bugs.debian.org/106374

The problem is user-defined chains that start with a dash
are seemingly impossible to kill with any amount of shell-foo.
Using GNU logopts style "--foo=bar" options is the only way
I've found to remove the chains independently. I don't see
anything in the docs that mention that style though.

   iptables --new-chain -foo
   iptables --verbose --delete-chain=-foo

The bug report is old, but the problem is valid for iptables
1.2.6a. The patch in the bug report appears to disable the
ability to create a user-defined chain that begins with a
dash.