Quite likely a duplex negotiation problem. Check the duplex setting
of the port where the firewall is connected, and the settings to the
NIC driver on your Linux box.

Having the switch configured for "100 Mbps full duplex" rather than
"auto" is recommended. Not all switches and drivers agree on "auto
negotiation" at all times still...