>  > Now there is http://bei.bof.de/cttest-0.5.tar.gz and an example
>  > presentation at http://bei.bof.de/ex4/
>
> (Is this getting out of hand?)

In what way? I'm having fun.

>  > BTW, it should be possible to gather reports generated by different
>  > people
>
> I suggest that you collect up their original data sets so other people
> can experiment with those.

I wouldn't want anybody else to look at my real datasets - they reflect
business situations no outsider has got to see too closely. This is even
true for the "mangled" dataset - one could guess to much from them,
_and_ they modify the very bits we are trying to analyse.

However, if anybody wants to send me their real datasets, I will happily
put them up for download and re-analysis. I'll add notes to this end when
I ask the user mailing list.

> And finally, here's the current version of A-F which I am determined
> to make my LAST version.  This is the result of a little more
> communication with my friendly crypto expert.

Thank you! Will try out and incorporate.

If we go with one of these for the base kernel, could you, together
with your friendly crypto buff, make a little documentary writeup
on the properties of the finally selected algorithm? Something that
would stand up to reading by other experts in the field?

>  > Don's new hash is named abcd_long. Looks good,
>  > takes about 2.2 times as long as abcd.
>
> (Darn.  So 64 bit does take a lot longer.)

That's not surprising; on 32 bit machines, 64 bit arithmetic tends
to be a blob of unfollowable large code. The original abcd hash,
compiled march=i686, takes about 64 byte in instruction size.
The 64 bit variant takes over 256 byte.

But I wouldn't worry too much about that. The measured times for
all of the pure calculating hashes are so small compared to the
rest of the action around them, that the relative differences
won't matter in reality. Also, with the recent ip_conntrack_core
patch I sent to the list, I saved two hash calculations - so we
have a 3x cost increase to the hash function for free :-)

On 64 bit machines, which will become more common over the Linux 2.6
timeframe, the difference goes away.

best regards
  Patrick