On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Steve Grubb <sgr...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 3, 2017 6:44:16 PM EST Paul Moore wrote:
>> I'm still trying to understand what purpose this record actually
>> serves, and what requirements may exist.  In an earlier thread
>> somewhere Steve mentioned some broad requirements around data
>> import/export, and I really wonder if the NETFILTER_PKT record
>> provides anything useful here when it really isn't connecting the
>> traffic to the sender/receiver without a lot of additional logging and
>> post-processing smarts.  If you were interested in data import/export
>> I think auditing the socket syscalls would provide a much more useful
>> set of records in the audit log.
>
> The problem here is we cannot be selective enough through the syscall
> interface to get exactly what we want. For example, any auditing of connect
> and accept will also get af_unix traffic which is likely to be uid/gid lookups
> through sssd or glibc. Typically we want the IPv4/6 traffic. The netfilter
> rules
> are better suited to describing which packets are of interest.

Okay, but how useful are these NETFILTER_PKT records, really?  The
only linkage you have back to the process on the local machine is via
the addr/proto/port tuple and that seems far from ideal.

>> Considering that one of the primary motivations for the audit
>> subsystem is to enable compliance with various security
>> specifications, let's get the ones we know about listed in this thread
>> and then figure out how best to meet those requirements.
>
> Common Criteria calls out for the ability to detect any attempt at information
> flow. Everything else leverages the CC requirements.

Yes, you've mentioned this previously.  This is good, but we need to
make these requirements a bit more concrete; we need something we can
use to arrive at a working implementation that satisfies these
requirements.

If this is purely about information flowing from A to B, would the
source and destination addr/proto/port for TCP and UDP suffice?  Do we
need anything else?

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com