On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Richard Guy Briggs <r...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-13 12:57, Steve Grubb wrote:

>> > The ones you want, auid, pid, ses.  Perhaps I'm using the wrong
>> > terminology.  What technical term is there for the collection of subject
>> > identifiers?
>>
>> Subject attributes.
>
> Ah ok, I'll try to remember to use that term...
>
> Now that you know what I'm talking about, can you go back and answer the
> questions I had about packet "ownership" (which is really packet subject
> attributes)?  If we have that information, how to we include it in the
> message format?  And if we don't have it, do we ignore the packet, or do
> we swing fields out, or do we set those fields to "unset" or do we use
> an auxiliary record?

Packet "ownership" is likely going to be impossible to determine
reliably since in some cases you can't even match a packet to a
socket, let alone a process.  To back up a few messages in this
thread, to Richard's list of things to potentially log:

> helpful         action, hook

I haven't checked, but do we allow setting of an audit key in
NETFILTER_PKT records?  It seems like that might be a good thing for
the userspace tools and would likely make logging the action/hook
unncessary.

> useless?        len

I don't see much point in this.

> helpful         inif, outif, mark

Let's split this into two things: the interfaces and the mark.  I
don't see much value in logging the mark, but I could see some value
in logging the interface.

> useless?        smac, dmac, macproto

Probably useless in the majority of use cases.

> helpful         protocol family

I think we need some clarity on protocol logging; we've got "macproto"
(I assume this is the ethertype, or similar), "protocol family" (I
assume this to be a duplicate of ethertype, e.g. AF_INET), and "proto"
(see below, I assume this to be TCP/UDP/etc.).

> useless?        truncated

Definitely useless.  Only keep this if we need it for some backwards
compatibility.

> helpful         saddr, daddr

Helpful.

> useless?        ipid

Useless.

> helpful         proto
> helpful         sport, dport

Assuming "proto" means the TCP/UDP/etc. then we should treat the
proto/ports as one block; you can't log the ports without logging
"proto".

> useless?        frag
> useless?        truncated

Yes, useless.

> helpful         icmptype, icmpcode

Similar to proto/port above.

> helpful         secmark (I forgot to change it from "obj" to "secmark" in my
> patch).

We may also want to log the peer label if we are going to log the secmark.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com