Pablo Neira Ayuso <pa...@netfilter.org> wrote:
> > Note from myself, i dislike L3PROTO, it would be nicer to be able
> > to handle this via the table family but I did not yet find a way
> > to detect this from the obj->init() function.
>
> We can pass nft_ctx to obj->init().

OK, I can make that change then, no problem.

> > Its needed for nf_conntrack_helper_try_module_get().
> >
> > This also begs the question of how one would handle
> > NFPROTO_INET, in that case we'd want both v4 and v6, but that
> > would require stashing two struct nf_conntrack_helper in
> > priv area.
>
> Still, someone may want to only enable helper for IPv4 in the inet
> chain, right? It's a bit of corner case but this attribute provides
> slight more flexibility.

But assignment can be limited via nft ... meta nfproto ipv4, no?

> Probably, we should handle NFPROTO_INET as a real family at some
> point, so user doesn't have to specify twice the same configuration to
> attach helpers from inet chains.

Yes, that what I wanted to avoid ...

> On a different front, but related, I've been considering to handle the
> NFPROTO_INET family from the netfilter/core, so we can get rid of the
> existing specific code in nf_tables to handle this pseudofamily.
> Actually, just handle it as a real family. I have a patchset here in a
> branch I made to do this, I would need to revisit it.

Sounds good to me, although I am not sure how you're going to pull this
off ;)

> > Any ideas/suggestions?
> >
> > +   NFTA_CT_HELPER_L4PROTO,
>
> Fine by now. We can place here more attributes, such as expectation
> timeouts and specific per-helper setting (eg. ftp loose).  Just a
> matter of adding more attributes later on, no problem.

Right, I wanted to be sure that this is the right direction before
doing this.

> > +   if (nla_strlcpy(name, tb[NFTA_CT_HELPER_NAME], sizeof(name)) >=
> > sizeof(name))
> > +           return -EINVAL;
>
> nla_policy already ensures we don't go over helper name size.

Right, I'll remove the conditional, thanks Pablo.