On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 11:36:52AM +0100, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:07:45PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:

> > > Via nft_compatible_revision() I'm getting revision 3. Are you using
> > > latest kernel from git?
> >
> > No, I'm running 4.9.10-gentoo here. But a quick test with nf-next kernel
> > from Feb 23rd in a VM shows the same result. I have libnftnl-1.0.6
> > installed, is that relevant?
>
> I have a way to trigger this here, but not sure if that is the problem
> there. If the kernel comes with no nft_compat support, then
> nft_compatible_revision() fails, and
> xtables_fully_register_pending_match() ends up selecting revision 0.
>
> In such case, I can reproduce your problem.
>
> # iptables-translate -A INPUT -m state --state NEW
> nft # -A INPUT -m state --state NEW

Ah! On my system, nft_compat is built as module and it didn't matter
whether I have it loaded or not, nft_compatible_revision() would never
succeed.

Oh man, I just found the cause: I was running iptables-translate as
unprivileged user. Calling it with sudo magically makes everything work.

I'll have a look whether it's possible to communicate the received
-EPERM back to the user.

Cheers, Phil